Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The BEST way to make Shredded Chicken


I made shredded Chicken on Monday. It took me 30 minutes to shred the chicken. I hated every minute of it. I made shredded chicken today, and it took me less than a minute. Here’s what you do:

#1. Cook the chicken. I prefer to put the frozen chicken in a pot of water on super low for over an hour. That way I don’t have to keep an eye on it. It’s sort of like a crock pot. Or if you’re short on time, boil it the more traditional way.

#2. Drain the water out. I get salad thongs, remove the chicken and dump out the water really fast.

#3. Get out your electric mixer (or kitchen aid if you’re lucky enough to have one. I don’t.) Turn it on low and go at it. Some chicken may go flying, be careful. Then, once the chicken is broken up, put the mixer on a higher setting. You might have four or five small little fatty pieces that won’t break up, but I like to be able to find them easily after I’m done. Then I remove the fat by hand and tear it into smaller pieces.

#4.  Make enchiladas, chimichangas, or chicken salad. YUM!

I made enchiladas, but I didn’t want to roll up each one, so I made them lasagna style.
Layers: 1-tortillas, 2-chicken, 3-cooked onions and peppers, 4-sauce, 5-cheese, 6-tortillas, 7-chicken, 8-onions and peppers, 9-sauce, 10-cheese, 11-tortillas, 12-sauce, top-cheese.

Ta-Da! Chicken Enchilada Lasagna!

It’s in the oven now. I’ll tell you how it turns out.

(made using Julie/Mom’s recipe in the family cookbook)

2 comments:

  1. You are brilliant! I never thought of using a mixer....yummmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say the same thing. Never thought of that! Gonna try it next time for sure...

    ReplyDelete